Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Youth "Fellowship" in a Village

I went up to the province of Nueva Vizcaya again recently. I had a great time because I went with some Filipino friends to a praise and fellowship night (they call it a “fellowship”) in a small mountain village. To get there, we had to ride out into the countryside on a jeepney, and then hike up a mountain for about an hour. The place we stayed didn't have electricity or even an outhouse, and I slept on a wooden bed without padding. For our dinner, I think they butchered two little white chickens, cut them into small pieces, put them into pots (along with their heads) with some vegetables and broth, and put the pots over a fire (I made sure to get one of the heads, but couldn’t seem to eat it because it was too tough). It’s very typical for the Kalanguya people to eat boiled meat and vegetables with broth and a little salt (of course, this is always eaten with rice). The praise/fellowship time lasted for several hours. I think it was close to midnight by the time it was over. In the morning, we had a 5:30-6-30 “devotion” service. As soon as that was over, we hiked back down the mountain.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:19 AM

    These pictures are great, Esther! They tell a good story and I can imagine being there.(without the wooden bed or the chicken head)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine it too! I like the way you tell your story.

    ReplyDelete