Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reverse MSG Shock II

After discovering that the FDA allows MSG to be labeled under many different names, especially if the substance is 98% or less MSG, I started re-reading labels. First, I looked at the labels at Red Robbin, where I ate lunch the other day, then at all of the labels I could find at home.

At Red Robbin, the MSG laced products were:

Red Robbin Seasoning (It listed 4 MSG ingredients: 1 or 2 were definitely less-refined MSG, and some of the other 2 or 3 might be the 99% or more pure MSG itself.
Heinz ketchup (it had 2 or 3 suspicious ingredients. No wonder ketchup seems to make things taste better.)

At home, most of the packages that I looked at had one or more ingredients that are or could be MSG. Some of these are things that I used to eat, not knowing that they probably have MSG in them:

mustard
mayonnaise
margarine
sandwich spread
low-fat cheese
ice cream
Cool Whip Lite
pancake syrup
microwave popcorn
seasoning salt
Asian seasoning sauces
plain soy milk (natural flavors?)
one type of bagged herbal tea
Spiced Cider powdered mix
some brands of bread (possibly)

I also looked at the ingredients of products sold in grocery stores, and found many more with MSG in them, such as:

pie
doughnuts
cake
cookies
chocolate
candy bars
muffins
canned soup
some brands of "all natural" ice cream
flavored chips
most packaged sweets
salad dressing

There really ought to be a regulation that makes food manufactures warn MSG sensitive people like me that there is MSG in their food, but that it is listed as something else on the package. I'll just have to find and memorize all the different ingredients that are or that could be MSG, and not buy or eat anything with one of those ingredients in it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:33 AM

    It's in everything. especially if you eat at restaurants. i remember being shocked because i thought it was illegal but it's used in many restaurant dishes.
    -praise

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally need a soy milk machine! Should I get one for you? I'm serious about it. I could send it back with Dad for you.

    It's easy to use, easy to clean, and you will save a fortune. As you know, the cost of buying soybeans is not exactly high. Well, if you want one, email me.

    ReplyDelete