Friday, January 09, 2009

only a little room left for dessert? eat another double quarter pounder w/cheese instead

I saw a tiny piece of cake being sold individually. It was regular cake, not cheese cake, and had the deluxe sounding name Velvet Creme Cake with creme cheese frosting, though I doubt that it's much different from any other store-bought cake (yuck!). I looked on the bottom of the package, and was shocked to see that it had 580 calories and 29 grams of fat. I showed it to someone else, who said that it looks like about "three bites for a man." And indeed, it looks about the size of a piece of cake that I would take so that I could try some without overdoing it, or probably half the size of a typical piece, or a third the size for some people. (I won't mention any names, but you know who you are.)

Then today, I just saw a healthier alternative to the Velvet Creme Cake, an equally small piece of Carrot Cake with creme cheese icing. It has 720 calories and 40 grams of fat. If I were to buy the whole cake and cut it myself, an ordinary sized piece would probably have 1440 calories and 80 grams of fat. For those who want a big piece of cake, I would cut a piece with 2160 calories and 120 grams of fat. Never mind that your tiny sliver of cake would have only 20 calories and 2 grams of fat less than the McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder with cheese that left you too full for a normal sized piece of cake, or that a large piece of the same cake would have more calories and grams of fat than 5 regular Quarter Pounders.

I recently finished the book Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink, Ph.D., who figured out that if a person eats 100 calories per day more than he or she needs, which isn't enough to change a person's metabolism, that person will gain 10 pounds in 1 year. That means that if you were to eat an extremely healthy diet of only as many calories as you use every day, but allow the limited indulgence of about 1/6 of a sliver of Velvet Creme Cake every day, which is probably a small mouthful or half of a bite for a man, you would gain 10 pounds in one year. Otherwise, I suppose you could have one sliver of cake per week all at once and gain about 9 pounds per year. Or, if your healthy diet had one bite of cake every day, and you quit eating your cake for a year, you would loose 10 pounds. I didn't know that an ordinary piece of cake could be that rich.

1 comment: