Friday, October 12, 2007

No Indian Race?

On the world news last night, the (white) newscaster said, "...but America has it's own massacre to deal with. There is NO INDIAN RACE LEFT."

I wonder if that is a lie or simply misinformation. There are THOUSANDS of Native American Indians in the US (and also many in Canada.). It is true that some settlers fought them and even killed some (that is very shameful), and others tried hard to do things without killing (no, it wasn't nice to put them on reservations). I've known several full-blooded Native American Indians personally, as well as some who were mixed. My mom even lived on an Indian reservation once, and ate things such as frog eye soup. My Grandma said that it's possible that one of my ancestors was a Native American, too. Saying that there is no Indian race left is as ridiculous as saying that there are no Aborigines left in Australia.

Besides, no one can say that I massacred any Indians through my ancestors cause my ancestors didn't arrive in the US till after that time:), and if they had, they might have been with the ones who didn't massacre them. And if they had, one massacre wouldn't justify the one on the news.

When I was in Italy, one of the Americans serving there was part Native American. When she told one of the older Italians that, he couldn't believe it cause he thought that the Native Americans had all been killed a long time ago and there were none left. We were surprised and politely insisted that she really is Native American, and that there are many Native American Indians. Then when I heard the news person say that, I thought there must be some misinformation going around somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment