Wednesday, September 05, 2007

NPMTTA People Sing At an SIL Event

The Northern Philippine Mother Tongue Translators (NPMTTA) who are currently studying in Manila were invited to sing at an SIL going away party for the area director (I think) and welcoming of the new one (I think). I came along and did the powerpoint that was shown while they were singing. They did a great job of singing in each of their mother tongues.

About the ceremony, I don't know a lot of what happened because they put us (the NPMTTA singing group) as well as the Indonesian singing group, into a small, very cold room with two tables, far from the main room where only the very highest ranking SIL people and several dignitaries sat. Oh, there were a few TAP people, too.

We were surprised that even SIL people who had high positions weren't there, but only those with very high positions in the organization.

One of the guests was the ambassador of Indonesia. He was more then an hour late, thereby causing everyone to have to wait for an extra hour (many had already come at least an hour early) before the ceremony began and we could eat:-(.

Anyway, we ended up being glad that we were in a separate room:-). Those in the big room said that they couldn't enjoy their food because they had to be very careful about their table manners. We, on the other hand, didn't have to worry about being overly proper. I sat there and enjoyed stabbing almost all of my vegetables with my fork:-)!

Oh, and this was in a large hotel in Manila, in case you were wondering. (I put a link in the title to the pictures that an NPMTTA person posted:-).)

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was not good that we were put on a separate room until the Japan sil director entered in the room we were staying and said he would have wanted to stay in a room like where we are because eating was not really enjoyable. Kung sabagay, kung kaharap mo ba naman eh ambassador at iba pang dignitaries eh ang hirap kumain at mabusog:) Buti na lang nasa iba kaming room. After all, it worked well for us kaya... salamat sa mga kasama kong kumanta. If I would have known that it was that special, I might have not said yes to the organizer but thank you guys for the cooperation. We sang in 6 languages including English. Thank you to my wife who did the powerpoint:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please ask Manong Bob to post their performance. I want to see it. But Im sure it was fantastic! Hehehe..

    I don't like the men's custome though. They should have worn g-string instead of that white sando. It doesn't make them look good hehehe...

    Thanks for posting this, Esther. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete