Thursday, May 19, 2005

Wandering Around the Philippines

For anyone who might be wondering why I haven't been blogging for several days now, I hopped on a bus last week with a Philipino friend from AGS where I'll be studying and a missionary from America. After 6 1/2 hours on the bus, I fond myself in the town of B. Then we took a trycicle, that's a motorcycle with a passenger thing attached to the side), to a missionary compound where some relatives of my Philipino friend stay. He and two of his nieces are working on finishing a translation of the Bible for their tribe. After several days at the compound, a missionary from Australia (who's last name was given to my friend in an attempt to get the spirits to leave him alone), drove us up a very steep, bumpy mountain road on the side of a cliff. It took two very bumpy hours to get to his village, which was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. After a three day conference, we went bumping back down the mountain. The next day we travelled by jeepneys to the town, and went to the SIL center located there. Now I'm staying in a dormitory with about 12 Philipino Mother Tongue Translators (MTT's) from various tribes who are attending the workshop here in order to check their translation of I Samule 16 to the end of that book. The workshop lasts until May 27. After that, I'll either hang around to see the dedicatin of a new Bible translation, or I'll head back to Manila after visiting a couple other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment